Thursday, December 3, 2009

Positive answers to positive remarks

Affirmative (or positive) additions to affirmative remarks can be made by using the appropriate auxiliary (are, is, am, do, have, can, must, etc.) with “too” or “so.”

“I believe him.” “We do, too.”
“They are studying.” “So are we.”
“The neighbours have come.” “So have my friends.”
“John came yesterday.” “I did, too.”
“Arun had left by that time.” “So had we.”
“The headmaster will be here tomorrow.” “So will the teachers.”
“She must go home now.” “I must, too.”
“I can play chess.” “So can we.”

Pay attention to the tense and choose you auxiliary accordingly. If it is present tense, use “do”; if past tense, use “did”; if present perfect, use “have,” and if past perfect, use “had.” Do not forget to insert a comma before “too.”

Practice the following first with “too” and then with “so.”

I stopped going to class.

We did, too.

So did we.

She is leaving.

I am, too.

So am I.

They will be at the meeting.

We will, too.

So will we.

I have written to him.

We have, too.

So have we.

He is a carpenter.

John is, too.

So is John.

He will speak to the boss.

They will, too.

So will they.

I ought to go there.

We ought to, too.

So ought we.

They have bought a car.

We have, too.

So have we.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Good lessons for Spoken English. Appreciating your effort. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete